Ant Identification & Prevention
What You Need To Know About Ants
Because they are social pests, ants infest homes in large numbers, making it frustrating and challenging to get rid of them. Below, you can learn what types of ants invade, how best to get rid of ants in your home, and how to prevent them in the future.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Ants
What are ants?
Most of the ants that infest residential properties are sugar ants. While there is one specific sugar ant species, the brown-banded sugar ant, this species is not in the United States. Instead, we use sugar ant as a generic term that covers many different species attracted to proteins and sweets.
One type of sugar ant is the carpenter ant. While carpenter ants are attracted to sugary foods, they will chew through wood, not to eat but to create nests.
Are ants dangerous?
For the most part, ants are not dangerous and more of a nuisance than anything. But carpenter ants can create costly and sometimes dangerous damage depending on how long an infestation goes unchecked.
Why do I have an ant problem?
Several factors can lead to an ant infestation in your home. These factors include available food, water, and accessibility.
As mentioned above, the ants that usually infest homes are attracted to proteins and sugars, two components found in many of the food people eat, and ants aren't that picky. So ants can make a buffet out of crumbs, grease, and other food debris.
Using cracks in the foundation and exterior walls, ants will make their way inside, taking advantage of high moisture. And for carpenter ants, soft, water-damaged, or decaying wood can create the perfect nesting place.
Where will I find ants?
Kitchens and eating areas are the most common places to find ants, but you may find them just about anywhere in a house, traveling underneath floors and inside walls to safely get to food and other resources.
How do I get rid of ants?
Professional residential and commercial pest control services are the best way to get rid of ants in your home or business. At Delmar Pest Control, we use various methods to treat ant infestations, but first, we start with a detailed home pest inspection to identify the ants you are dealing with, where they are getting inside, and what is attracting them.
After the inspection, we will perform wall void treatments, use a granular treatment in the yard, spray the full foundation, and implement baits, repellents, and sprays depending on your home's needs.
Contact us at Delmar Pest Control to learn more about how we can assist with ant control in Wilmington and surrounding areas.
How can I prevent ants in the future?
In order to keep ants out of your home in the future, it is essential to keep up with the following:
- Check the exterior of your home for any entry points, such as cracks in the foundation and exterior walls, missing screens and weatherstripping, uncovered vents, and other weaknesses. Use caulk to fill in any gaps and holes where ants could potentially get inside.
- Trim trees and foliage touching the side of your home because ants can use branches as a highway inside.
- Properly store food in airtight containers if not kept in the refrigerator.
- Keep interior and exterior garbage cans clean of food debris.
- Clean up kitchens and eating areas to remove crumbs, grease, and other food sources that attract ants.
- Don't leave dirty dishes or pet food out overnight.
- Repair any leaking pipes and use dehumidifiers where necessary inside your house.
- Replace any water-damaged or decaying wood inside your home and remove organic debris from your yard, including dead trees, logs, and stumps.
Don't forget to call us at Delmar Pest Control for all your ant control needs.
Call For Your No-Obligation Inspection
Call us using the numbers below to schedule your no-obligation inspection.
Delaware: (302) 658-5010
Maryland: (410) 430-0661
Pennsylvania: (610) 388-9212
Recent Blog Articles
How To Safely Keep Squirrels Away From Your Wilmington Home
ree squirrels can invade and damage your home if you are not careful. Let Delmar Pest Control defend your Wilmington home from squirrel pests with these ti...
Are You Struggling To Keep Your Wilmington Business Pest-Free?
Are pests bugging your business? Learn why in this guide to dealing with the variety of pests that can infest your Wilmington area store, office, or restau...