You Could Be Accidentally Attracting Termites In Wilmington
June 10, 2022
If you're a Wilmington homeowner, there's a good chance you've heard about the termite problem in our area. These pesky insects can damage your home if not taken care of properly. It can be challenging to get rid of them once they've infested your property. In this article, Delmar Pest Control covers everything you need to know about termites, including what attracts them, identifying an infestation, how pest control in Wilmington can help, and what you can do to prevent them from coming back.
What Does A Termite Infestation Look Like?
One of the first things you'll want to do if you think you have a termite problem is to identify the infestation. Here's how to spot the signs of termites:
- Look for small piles of wood dust (frass) near where you think the termites might be. Frass is a telltale sign of a termite infestation.
- Check for winged insects around your home, especially near doors and windows. These termite swarmers are generally only seen when a colony is looking to expand.
- Look for mud tubes on the exterior of your home. Termites build these tubes to travel between their nest and a food source, and they're often an early sign of an infestation.
- Existing damage to your home's woodwork may also indicate termites. If you see any cracks or holes in wood beams or furniture, have them inspected by a professional.
Even a few termites in your home are a significant cause for alarm. If you see any signs of termites in your home, it's crucial to call the professionals at Delmar Pest Control right away before the infestation spreads.
Why It Is So Hard To Get Rid Of Termites On Your Property
Once termites have infested your property, they can be very difficult to remove. Here's why:
- They're often hard to find. Termites generally stay hidden away, making them difficult to spot until it's too late.
- They reproduce quickly. A single termite colony can produce millions of offspring in just a few short years.
- They're resistant to many pesticides. The chemicals that are effective against other pests don't work on termites.
- They eat constantly. Active termites never stop eating, which means they can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time.
If you think you have a termite problem, the best thing to do is call a termite removal professional right away. Delmar Pest Control can help you get rid of them quickly and efficiently.
What Attracts Termites To Homes?
There are a few things that can attract termites to your property:
- Moisture: Termites are attracted to moisture, so areas that are damp or have leaks are more likely to be infested.
- Wooden structures: Termites will eat any type of wood, but they're especially attracted to homes and other buildings made of wood.
- Food sources: Termites are also attracted to decaying plant matter and fungi.
- Other termites: If there's already an infestation on your property, the other termites will attract more of their kind.
The best way to prevent a termite infestation is to make sure your property is as uninviting to them as possible. Repair any leaks, remove excess moisture, and keep an eye out for damp or damaged wood.
Ways To Prevent Future Termite Infestations In Wilmington
Once you've gotten rid of the termites on your property, you'll want to do everything to prevent them from returning. Some tips to avoid a future infestation include:
- Sealing cracks or holes in your foundation makes it harder for termites to get inside.
- Remove any wood that's touching your home. Termites will often travel from the ground to your home through the wood in contact with the structure.
- Keep your gutters clean. Clogged gutters can cause water to build up around your home, attracting termites.
- Have your property inspected regularly. A professional like Delmar Pest Control will be able to spot an infestation in its early stages to prevent devastating damage.
If you follow these tips, you should be able to prevent a future infestation of termites. However, if you find yourself with a termite problem, don't hesitate to call the experts at Delmar Pest Control. We use Trelona bait stations to eliminate the termites from your home effectively. We'll also identify conducive conditions to help prevent a re-infestation.
Don't give these damaging pests a chance; contact Delmar Pest Control today to learn more about our termite control services.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Excellent service and very professional. Highly recommend Delmar Pest Control.
Contact Delmar Pest Control Today!(302) 658-5010
Get started with reliable pest management solutions in Delaware, Maryland, and Pennsylvania.